Other Books in Series
This is book number 9 in the Chief Inspector Gamache Novel series.
- #1: Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #2: A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: The Cruelest Month: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #4: A Rule Against Murder: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #5: The Brutal Telling: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #7: A Trick of the Light: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (CD-Audio): $39.99
- #8: The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #10: The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #11: The Nature of the Beast: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #12: A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #12) (CD-Audio): $39.99
- #13: Glass Houses: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #13) (Paperback): $17.99
- #14: Kingdom of the Blind: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (CD-Audio): $39.99
- #15: A Better Man: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Mass Market): $9.99
- #16: All the Devils Are Here: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #16) (CD-Audio): $39.99
- #17: The Madness of Crowds: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #17) (Hardcover): $28.99
The ninth book in Louise Penny's New York Times bestselling, critically acclaimed series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.
"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." —Leonard Cohen
Christmas is approaching, and in Québec it's a time of dazzling snowfalls, bright lights, and gatherings with friends in front of blazing hearths. But shadows are falling on the usually festive season for Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Most of his best agents have left the Homicide Department, his old friend and lieutenant Jean-Guy Beauvoir hasn't spoken to him in months, and hostile forces are lining up against him. When Gamache receives a message from Myrna Landers that a longtime friend has failed to arrive for Christmas in the village of Three Pines, he welcomes the chance to get away from the city. Mystified by Myrna's reluctance to reveal her friend's name, Gamache soon discovers the missing woman was once one of the most famous people not just in North America, but in the world, and now goes unrecognized by virtually everyone except the mad, brilliant poet Ruth Zardo.
As events come to a head, Gamache is drawn ever deeper into the world of Three Pines. Increasingly, he is not only investigating the disappearance of Myrna's friend but also seeking a safe place for himself and his still-loyal colleagues. Is there peace to be found even in Three Pines, and at what cost to Gamache and the people he holds dear?
One of Publishers Weekly's Best Mystery/Thriller Books of 2013
One of The Washington Post's Top 10 Books of the Year
An NPR Best Book of 2013
About the Author
LOUISE PENNY is the author of the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling series of Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has won numerous awards, including a CWA Dagger and the Agatha Award (seven times), and was a finalist for the Edgar Award for Best Novel. In 2017, she received the Order of Canada for her contributions to Canadian culture. Louise lives in a small village south of Montréal.
Ralph Cosham is best known as the voice behind all of Louise Penny’s bestselling Chief Inspector Gamache novels. He won the 2013 Audie Award for Louise Penny’s A Beautiful Mystery. He is a film, stage, and voice actor who narrated over 100 audiobooks, including Frankenstein, Around the World in Eighty Days, Alice in Wonderland, and Watership Down. His audiobook credits include works by C.S. Lewis, Simon Brett and C.S. Forester. Several of his works have been awarded Audio Best of the Year by Publisher’s Weekly.
“Louise Penny's Three Pines mysteries are eminently satisfying due to their imaginative variety. The stories include scenes of Montreal sophistication and gritty crime contrasted with the idyllic setting of Three Pines. There's also literary appeal, quirky humor, and – let's not forget – murder. Here Ralph Cosham infuses his performance of French-Canadian Inspector Gamache with his usual warmth. Cosham ably captures Gamache's controlled musings and infinite patience, and he gives the policeman a signature style: a subtle additional syllable each time the contemplative detective begins to speak. Gamache is drawn deeply into the past as he seeks safe harbor from menacing adversaries while investigating a murder in Montreal that has ties to Three Pines.” —AudioFile Magazine, Earphones Award Winner
“Penny writes engagingly whether you're reading her books or listening to them. An argument for the latter is that her characters – not the least being Gamache, the gentle, brilliant, introspective and beleaguered head of the Surete division – are enriched beyond description through the distinctive voice of reader Ralph Cosham” —The Star-Ledger
“Narrator Ralph Cosham moves seamlessly from character to character, adding depth to each; his narration, coupled with a suspenseful writing style, make for edge-of-your-seat listening. Highly recommended for series devotees or fans of literary mysteries.” —Library Journal, starred review
“An engrossing, well produced audio. The avuncular voice of narrator Ralph Cosham fully expresses the mood of wistful regret that permeates this ninth (and perhaps last) chronicle of Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec.” —Publishers Weekly
“Ralph Cosham narrates again, his voice now truly Gamache's and his pace perfectly matched to Penny's graceful prose.” —BookPage
“Cosham's masterful narration places listeners with Gamache in this emotion packed series entry.” —Booklist